These recordings were made by an unknown person on Norfolk Island of the ABC's commentary of the Apollo 11 mission.
The Norfolk Island radio station, VL2NI, must have been sourcing its audio either from a medium wave station on the mainland, possibly Queensland or northern New South Wales, or more likely the ABC's outback shortwave service. This is evident from the frequent lightning discharges.
The monophonic recordings were made on five 62 metre tapes and one 150 metre tape recorded at 4.75 cm/s.
Not all significant events of the Apollo 11 mission were recorded. This may be because the person making the recordings was unable to record the events, or because the ABC didn't cover these events - we have been provided with no additional information with the tapes.
These files are in MPEG3 format. Total file size is 320 MB.
The recordings, in chronological order, are:
* Countdown and Launch (33 MB - 35 min)
* Go for Trans-Lunar Injection (3.5 MB - 4 min)
* Trans-Lunar Injection (18.0 MB - 19 min)
* ABC News reports (4.7 MB - 5 min)
* Norfolk Island weather report and station identification (2 MB - 2 min)
* LM and CSM separation (18.6 MB - 20 min)
* LM and CSM separation (12.6 MB - 13 min)
* LM in descent orbit (21.2 MB - 22 min)
* Descent aquisition of signal due (8.4 MB - 9 min)
* 45 minutes to landing (1.2 MB - 2 min)
* Twelve minutes before powered descent initiation (2.2 MB - 2 min)
* Powered descent and landing (17.1 MB - 18 min)
* Post landing (3.8 MB - 4 min)
* Post landing reports (5.8 MB - 5 min)
* Norfolk Island schedule (1.2 MB - 2 min)
* Go for cabin depressurisation (11.2 MB - 12 min)
* Depressurisation (19.3 MB - 20 min)
* Start of moonwalk (19.1 MB - 20 min)
* Aldrin egress (21.3 MB - 22 min)
* 45 minutes into EVA (12.2 MB - 13 min)
* Astronauts 90 min on portable life support (0.8 MB - 1 min)
* Hatch closed (8 MB - 8 min)
* Reentry and splashdown (30.7 MB - 32 min)
* Recovery of Columbia from ocean (23.9 MB - 25 min)
* Nixon speaks to astronauts on aircraft carrier & ABC broadcast wrap (20.4 MB - 21 min)
These recordings are provided for private research purposes and any copyright remains with the original broadcasters.