EARTH & SKY COMES TO 88.3 SOUTHERN FM
Earth & Sky
with Deborah Byrd, Joel Block, Jorge Salazar and others
The daily science series Earth & Sky began playing on 88.3 Southern FM during 1997.
What Was Earth & Sky?Earth & Sky was a series of programmes seven days a week, 90 seconds a day. Each programme contained high-quality, scientific information about the natural world. On most stations, Earth & Sky was aired at least twice a day.The daily science enrichment radio series Earth & Sky debuted in the United States in 1991 September on 30 public radio stations. It's listnership build to be heard by millions of listeners on over 600 commercial and public stations throughout the U.S., Canada, the South Pacific and on several international networks.
What Topics were Covered by Earth & Sky?Earth & Sky topics fell generally into the following categories:
- Established ideas in science.
- Programmes in the series explored the surface of Earth from the tallest mountains to the deepest trenches on the ocean floor. They explained dynamic processes such as the movement of tectonic plates. Some biology was presented. Other shows focused on chemical processes in Earth's air and oceans. The series also took people on imaginary journeys into space, with programmes exploring the planets and sun, the possible birth of new solar systems, the evolution of stars and galaxies, and exotic objects such as quasars and pulsars.
- News and discoveries in Earth science, astronomy, and environmental science.
- This included information usually only covered by the science press.
- Listener questions.
- Listener questions were solicited on air and used at a rate of about one or two per week. Questions included, "How wide is lightning?" and "What does the Sun look like from the planet Pluto?"
- Sky events, and astronomy and Earth science anniversaries.
- Insight into the process of science.
- One programme explained why--despite the evidence-- it's difficult to convince all scientists that the dinosaurs became extinct 65 million years ago due to a collision of an asteroid with Earth.
- Background on environmental issues.
- What is the optimum size for a national forest? What do scientists say on the subject of global warming? Listeners were given the tools to aid in understanding today's complex environmental issues. One year, the global ramifications of human activity on the planet's finite qualities were emphasized.
Who Made Earth & Sky?Earth & Sky was produced by Byrd and Block Communications, Inc. (BBCI) of Austin, Texas. BBCI was formed in 1991 by the show's producers/host team, Deborah Byrd and Joel Block. The programme was funded by grants from a changing range of organisations, such as the National Science Foundation and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Earth & Sky has regular "content consultants." Consultants read and commented on every script before they were recorded.
How Do Listeners Get More Information About Topics Featured On Earth & Sky?By using the Internet to go to
How Do I Hear Earth & Sky?
Particular programmes dealing with space, astronomy and sometimes Earth science were played on The Space Show.
The series is no longer in production.